Nexmo Verify is a service that lets you add multi-factor authentication to your application by verifying a PIN code sent to your device via an SMS message or voice call.
This Knowledgebase article provides step-by-step instructions for using Appdome to add Nexmo Verify to any Android and iOS mobile app.
About No Code Nexmo Verify
Nexmo Verify is an MFA service, where the user submits a phone number, Nexmo sends an SMS or makes a voice call with the PIN code, and the user submits the PIN for verification. Using a simple ‘click to add’ user interface, Appdome allows anyone to easily integrate Nexmo Verify MFA to any mobile app – instantly, no code or coding required.
Using Appdome, there are no development or coding prerequisites. For example, there is no Appdome SDK, libraries, or plug-ins to implement. Users merely upload mobile apps, select the Nexmo Verify Identity Service and click “Build My App.” The Appdome technology adds Nexmo Verify MFA and more to the app automatically, with no manual development work at all.
Nexmo Verify Identity service on Appdome can be used with two methods of authentication in Adaptive MPH through triggering MFA on Login or Custom MFA.
When the user logs into the application Built with MFA on Login, Appdome will prompt the user to enter the verification code provided by Nexmo Verify and sent to the configured phone number via SMS or a voice call. Once the user enters the code, Appdome will submit the code to the Nexmo Verify service, and upon verification, it will let the application run.
When an application is built with Custom MFA, the verification code will be promoted based on the user configuration from the app Build. When the application attempts to access a protected resource or if Appdome detects successful Built app login with the configured Phone Number Tag, the verification code will be sent to the configured phone number. This verification code will be sent via SMS or a voice call.
Additionally, with DEV-Events™ you can use Appdome to handle in-app events and complete Nexmo Verify authentication internally. For more information on this view: Integrating your application with Appdome DEV-Events™ and Nexmo Verify 2FA service.
Prerequisites for Adding Nexmo Verify to Your Application
In order to use Appdome’s no code implementation of Nexmo Verify, you will need:
- Appdome account
- Mobile App (.ipa for iOS, or .apk for Android)
- An account for Nexmo Verify service, and obtained from Nexmo dashboard:
- API key
- API secret
- Signing Credentials (e.g., signing certificates and provisioning profile)
How to Add Nexmo Verify MFA to Your Application
Using Appdome to Build Your Application with Nexmo Verify
To Build an app with Nexmo Verify’s MFA, please follow the steps below:
Click the Build Tab. Note: a blue underline will appear showing the step is active. Select the Identity category
- Click on the toggle to enable Identity Services, Select Nexmo Verify from the drop-down menu
- Enter the API Key you got from Nexmo Dashboard
- Enter the API Secret you got from Nexmo Dashboard
Build your app with MFA on Login:
- Click on the toggle to enable MFA on Login
- By default, MFA on Login detects a phone number sent using a custom header named “X-PhoneNumber“
- Dynamic UI™ automatically enables Appdome to create the necessary UI dialogs to perform the verification process using Nexmo Verify
Build Your App with Custom MFA:
- Click on the toggle to enable Custom MFA
- Enable Authenticate on Resource and add the protected servers which will trigger the authentication process. (optional)
- Enable Customize Login Detect and choose the method by which to detect the login and extract the phone number (optional):
Detect by Header: Enter the HTTP header name whose value is the user’s phone number.
Detect by JSON Body: Enter the JSON key whose value is the user’s phone number. This key will be searched for inside HTTP response payloads.
Detect by OAuth2 Access Token: allows detection of OAuth2 access tokens inside HTTP response payloads and querying the backend for the user’s phone number
- Phone Number Query URL will hold the URL that will be queried for the user’s phone number
- Phone Number JSON Tag will hold the JSON key whose value is the user’s phone number. This key will be searched for inside the query response payload.
- Brand ID (optional): enter a string up to 18 characters which will be included in the verification SMS or voice call. If it is left blank, Appdome Nexmo implementation will use your application name, and the SMS show “<YourApplication> code: 1234. Valid for 5 minutes”.
- API URL (optional): If you are using an alternative Nexmo server, enter here. Otherwise, leave blank. By default, Appdome’s Nexmo Verify implementation will use “https://api.nexmo.com“
Click the Build My App button to complete Appdome’s Nexmo integration into the app.
The technology behind Build My App has two major elements – (1) a microservice architecture filled with 1000s of code sets needed for mobile integrations, and (2) an adaptive code generation engine that can recognize the development environment, frameworks and methods in each app and match the app to the relevant code-sets needed to add Nexmo Verify MFA to the mobile app in seconds.
Congratulations! Now you have a mobile app fully integrated with Nexmo Verify MFA.
After Adding Nexmo Verify to a Mobile App on Appdome
After you have added Nexmo Verify to any Mobile App on Appdome, there are a few additional steps needed to complete your mobile integration project.
Add Context™ to the Appdome-Built App
Appdome is a full-featured mobile integration platform. Within Context™, Appdome users can brand the app, including adding a favicon to denote the new service added to the app.
For more information on the range of options available in Context™, please read this knowledge base article.
Sign the Nexmo Verify enabled Appdome-Built App (Required)
In order to deploy an Appdome Built app, it must be signed. Signing iOS apps and Signing Android apps is easy using Appdome. Alternatively, you can use Private Signing, download your unsigned app and sign locally using your own signing methods.
Deploy the Appdome Built App to a Mobile Device
Once you have signed your Appdome Bult app, you can download to deploy it using your distribution method of choice. For more information on deploying your Appdome-Built apps, please read this knowledge base.
That is it – Enjoy Appdome for Nexmo Verify in your app!
How Do I Learn More?
Request a demo at any time.
If you have any questions, please send them our way at firstname.lastname@example.org or via the chat window on the Appdome platform.