Nexmo Verify is a service that lets you add multi-factor authentication to your application by verifying a PIN code sent to your device via an SMS message or voice call.
This Knowledgebase article provides step-by-step instructions for using Appdome to add Nexmo Verify to any Android and iOS mobile app.
About No Code Nexmo Verify
Nexmo Verify is an MFA service, where the user submits a phone number, Nexmo sends an SMS or makes a voice call with the PIN code, and the user submits the PIN for verification. Using a simple ‘click to add’ user interface, Appdome allows anyone to easily integrate Nexmo Verify 2FA to any mobile app – instantly, no code or coding required.
Using Appdome, there are no development or coding prerequisites. For example, there is no Appdome SDK, libraries, or plug-ins to implement. Users merely upload mobile apps, select the Nexmo Verify Identity Service and click “Fuse My App.” The Appdome technology adds Nexmo Verify MFA and more to the app automatically, with no manual development work at all.
Nexmo Verify Identity service on Appdome can be used with two methods of authentication triggering: Authenticate on App Launch and Authenticate on Resource.
When the user opens an application fused with Authenticate on App Launch, the user will be prompted to enter his phone number on application start, before he can see the application’s UI. Appdome will submit this phone number to Nexmo Verify service for verification. Upon success, Appdome will prompt the user to enter the PIN provided by Nexmo Verify, which send the required PIN number to the given phone number via SMS or a voice call. Once the user enters the number, Appdome will submit the PIN number to Nexmo Verify service, and upon verification, it will let the application run.
When an application is Fused with Authenticate on Resource, the user will be prompted to enter his phone number when the application attempts to access a server that matches one of the wildcards entered during Fusion. If the server returns one of the standard status codes that require authentication (401, 301, etc.), Appdome will submit this phone number to Nexmo Verify service for verification.
Additionally, with DEV-Events™ you can use Appdome to handle in apps events and complete Nexmo Verify authentication internally. See: Integrating your application with Appdome DEV-Events™ and Nexmo Verify 2FA service.
Prerequisites for Adding Nexmo Verify to your application
In order to use Appdome’s no code implementation of Nexmo Verify, you will need:
- Appdome account
- Mobile App (.ipa for iOS, or .apk for Android)
- An account for Nexmo Verify service, and obtained from Nexmo dashboard:
- API key
- API secret
- Signing Credentials (e.g., signing certificates and provisioning profile)
How to add Nexmo Verify MFA to your application
Using Appdome to Fuse your application with Nexmo Verify
To Fuse an app with Nexmo Verify’s Authenticate on App Launch service, please follow the steps below:
- Click the Fuse Tab. Note: a blue underline will appear showing the step is active
- Click the Identity category
- Toggle “ON” Identity Services
- Select Nexmo Verify from the drop-down menu
- Enter the API Key you got from Nexmo Dashboard
- Enter the API Secret you got from Nexmo Dashboard
- Toggle “ON” Authenticate on App Launch to initiate Nexmo verify protection on application launch. And/Or Toggle “ON” Authenticate on Resource to initiate Nexmo verify protection on resource access. Verification will initiate when the app gets a “not authenticated” response from a server
- If you use Authenticate on Resource, Click + Add to add a server URL wildcard to the list of servers you want to protect
- Brand ID (optional): enter a string up to 18 characters which will be included in the verification SMS or voice call. If it is left blank, Appdome Nexmo implementation will use your application name, and the SMS show “<YourApplication> code: 1234. Valid for 5 minutes”.
- API URL (optional): If you are using an alternative Nexmo server, enter here. Otherwise, leave blank. By default, Appdome’s Nexmo Verify implementation will use “https://api.nexmo.com“
- Toggle “ON” Dynamic UI™ to let Appdome create the necessary UI dialogs to perform the verification process using Nexmo Verify. If DynamicUI™ is not enabled, you will need to implement DEV-Events™ events. To learn more, please refer to Integrating your application with Appdome DEV-Events™ and Nexmo Verify 2FA service.
- Click the Fuse My App button to complete Appdome’s Nexmo integration into the app.
Congratulations! Now you have a mobile app fully integrated with Nexmo Verify.
After Adding Nexmo Verify to a Mobile App on Appdome
After you have added Nexmo Verify to any Mobile App on Appdome, there are a few additional steps needed to complete your mobile integration project.
Add Context™ to the Appdome-Fused App
Appdome is a full-featured mobile integration platform. Within Context™, Appdome users can brand the app, including adding a favicon to denote the new service added to the app.
For more information on the range of options available in Context™, please read this knowledge base article.
Sign the Nexmo Verify enabled Appdome-Fused App (Required)
In order to deploy an Appdome-Fused app, it must be signed. Signing iOS apps and Signing Android apps are easy using Appdome. Alternatively, you can use Private Signing, download your unsigned app and sign locally using your own signing methods.
Deploy the Appdome Fused App to a Mobile Device
Once you have signed your Appdome Fused app, you can download to deploy it using your distribution method of choice. For more information on deploying your Appdome-Fused apps, please read this knowledge base.
That is it – Enjoy Appdome for Nexmo Verify in your app!
How Do I Learn More?
Request a demo at any time.
If you have any questions, please send them our way at email@example.com or via the chat window on the Appdome platform.