Deploying mobile apps Fused with the AirWatch SDK into AirWatch UEM or VMWare Workspace One is the primary task developers, mobile integrators or mobility managers need to accomplish in order to distribute the integrated mobile apps via AirWatch UEM or Workspace One.
This Knowledge Base article covers the steps for deploying mobile apps Fused with the AirWatch SDK on Appdome using the AirWatch UEM console.
The following pre-requisite tasks need to be completed prior to distributing your app with AirWatch.
- Your mobile app is fused with the AirWatch SDK.
- Your mobile app is signed.
- You have a configured and accessible instance of AirWatch UEM or Workspace One.
Steps for Deploying Mobile Apps Fused with the AirWatch SDK
Upload Your Fused App to AirWatch Console
1. Navigate to the AirWatch UEM Console within your web browser and Log in.
2. Go to A. Apps & Books –> B. Applications –> C. Native
3. Click Add Application.
4. On the opened window, click Upload.
5. Click Choose File to browse the app file.
6. Click Save.
7. Wait for the upload to finish.
8. When the upload is done, click Continue.
9. The application edit page will open. You can configure the app’s basic set up here. If you want to apply a specific security profile to the app, you can do it under More–>SDK (see Manage AirWatch Security Policies, below). Configure the app and click Save & Assign.
Assign the App to Users or Devices
* The Assignment window will open automatically after clicking Save & Assign. It can also be opened manually to change the assignment for existing apps by opening the apps page and clicking Assign.
1. Click Add Assignment
2. Start typing the group name in Select Assignment Groups and select the desired group.
3. Choose the App Delivery Method.
4. Enter Deployment Begins On date.
5. You can turn on basic Policies for Managed Access, App Tunneling and Application Configuration to the app.
6. Click Add.
7. Back on the assignment window, the new assignment is added. Click Save and Publish.
8. The Preview Assigned Devices shows a list of devices that will be assigned the new app. Click Publish.
You’re done! your app will now be available in the App Catalog of the assigned device. You can read more about using the VMware AirWatch Catalog in the AirWatch Knowledge Base.
Manage AirWatch Security Policies
AirWatch UEM uses several mechanisms to deploy and assign policies to users, devices or apps. Here you’ll learn how to use AirWatch to configure the default app Security Policy and add new Profiles – which can be assigned to app deferentially.
1. Go to A. Apps & Books –> B. Application Settings –> C. Default Policy.
2. Select Override, if you want to change the default policy. This page had the control that will manage apps by default. You can manage various controls, such as:
- Authentication Type.
- App Tunnel.
- Data Loss Prevention, etc.
3. To save changes, click Save.
4. To Create a non-default profile, click Profiles in the left side menu.
5. Click Add Profile.
6. Select SDK Profile.
7. Select the desired Platform.
8. Name the Profile
9. Configure the Security Profile. A. Configure Data Loss Prevention under Restrictions, Configure the App Tunnel under Proxy. You can read more about the Default SDK Security Settings and SDK Profiles, Policies and Settings Compatibility in the AirWatch Knowledge Base.
10. Click Save.
Apply an SDK Profile to an App in AirWatch UEM
1. Go to A. Apps & Books –> B. Applications –> C. Native
2. Click the Application’s Name.
3. Click Edit
4. On the Edit Application window, click A. More –> B. SDK.
5. Select SDK Profile you want to apply to the app.
6. Click Save & Assign.
7. If you don’t want to change the assignment, click Save an Publish. Otherwise, you can update the app’s assignment.
8. Review the assigned devices and click Publish.
The new profile will now be pushed to the assigned devices, and on the next launch of the app, it will conform to the new profile’s security policy.
You are now ready to start deploying mobile apps Fused with the AirWatch SDK.
How Do I Learn More?
To learn about configuring the VMware AirWatch Catalog, read this article in the AirWatch Knowledge Base.
To zoom out on this topic, deploying mobile apps Fused with the AirWatch SDK, read the Appdome for VMware Airwatch datasheet on our website.
To make sure your app is properly fused with AirWatch SDK, check out: Use Appdome to Integrate AirWatch SDKs to any Mobile App.