This Knowledge Base article covers the steps to deploy mobile apps fused with the MobileIron Core EMM.
The following pre-requisite tasks need to be completed prior to distributing your app with MobileIron.
- Your mobile app is fused with the MobileIron AppConnect SDK.
- Your mobile app is signed.
- You have a configured and accessible instance of MobileIron Core.
How to Deploy Mobile Apps Integrated with the MobileIron SDK
Upload Your Fused App to MobileIron Core
1. Navigate to MobileIron Core within your web browser and Log in.
2. Click A. Apps –> B. App Catalog.
3. Click Add.
4. On the Choose window:
- Select In-House
- Click Browse and locate the fused app
- Click Next.
5. Wait for the upload to complete.
6. In the Describe window, you can edit basic details for the app. When you’re done, click Next.
7. In the App Store window, you can manage the way the app will be displayed and deployed in the enterprise app store (“Apps@Work”). When you’re done, click Next.
8. In the App Configuration window, you can configure the app. Notice “Send installation request” (on iOS) and “Mandatory” (on Android) – this checkbox controls mandatory deployment of the app to the assigned device. When you’re done, click Finish.
You’re done! Your app is not uploaded to MobileIron Core. Next, you need to assign the app to users or device, using the MobileIron Label system. Some Labels, such as iOS, Android or Company-Owned are predefined. You can also create Labels for specific needs. Read about labels in this MobileIron Knowledge Base article.
Assigning the App to a Label
1. Locate the uploaded app on the App Catalog.
2. Check the checkbox next to the app.
3. Click Actions and then Apply to Label.
4. In the opened window, check the checkboxes for all the Labels you want to assign the app to. 5. Click Apply.
Create and Manage AppConnect Security Policies
MobileIron Core offers a very large selection of policies and configurations that control different aspects of apps and devices in the MobileIron environment. In this section, you will learn how to set up and assign an AppConnect Policy, that specifically manages the security features on apps fused with AppConnect SDK.
Creating an AppConnect Policy
1. Go to A. Policies and Configs –> B. Policies.
2. Click A. Add New –> B. AppConnect.
3. In the opened Window, Name the policy.
4. The policy configuration includes:
- AppConnect Passcode: This section manages the type of passcode and other setting controlling its operations.
- AppConnect Security Controls on Device: This section offers some compliance controls.
- App Authorization: This section sets a check-in interval to lock unconnected apps.
- Security Policies: This section controls the AppConnect’s SDK Data Leak Prevention security features on the fused app.
5. IMPORTANT: For an AppConnect policy that governs Appdome fused apps, check the checkbox next to Apps without an AppConnect container policy.
6. Click Save.
Assigning a Policy to Users and Devices
MobileIron Core assigns policies of various kinds to apps in the system using the MobileIron label system (see the article in MobileIron Knowledge Base).
1. Check the checkbox next to the Policy on the list.
2. Click Actions.
3. Click Apply To Label.
4. In the opened window, check the checkboxes for all the Labels you want to assign the app to.
5. Click Apply.
The Policy will now apply to any app fused with the AppConnect SDK that is installed on devices configured in the Label.
How Do I Learn More?
Read the Getting Started with Core manual on the MobileIeon Knowledge Base.
To make sure your app is properly fused with MobileIron AppConnect SDK, check out: Use Appdome to Integrate a Mobile App with the Mobilelron AppConnect SDK.