Google requires Android Mobile apps to be signed before they can be installed on a mobile device. A valid signature ensures the integrity of an app and stands as proof that the app has not been tampered with.
This Knowledge Base article covers how to sign Android apps using Appdome’s built-in Sign workflow.
We hope you find it useful and enjoy using Appdome!
About Signing Android Apps on Appdome
As an Appdome user, you can sign any built app either by using Appdome’s built-in signing capabilities or using your own mechanism outside of Appdome. It’s your choice. If you wish to Deploy apps from Appdome, the process is quick and easy for any Android app, including Native Android, hybrid apps and non-native apps built in Xamarin, Cordova, React Native, Ionic and more. Deploying apps from Appdome will leverage unique capabilities such as Automatic deployment of built apps into the Google Play Store and Leading EMM Stores.
Appdome is a no-code mobile integration platform as a service (iPaaS), supporting a wide variety of implementations for Android and iOS apps. Appdome allows anyone to easily add additional functionality to any mobile app – instantly, no code or coding required. During the building process, adapters are added to the app to achieve the desired added functionality, therefore the app’s original signature is invalidated and must be signed to allow deploying the app on mobile devices.
Prerequisites for Signing Android Apps on Appdome
In order to sign your Android app, you’ll need a valid signing certificate stored in the Android development environment. To use your certificate, you’ll need access to the following.
- Appdome account
- Appdome built mobile app
- Keystore – This should be the same keystore file used to sign your Android app when distributing it via Google Play.
- Keystore Password – The password used to unlock your keystore.
- Key Alias – The name you assigned to your keystore.
- Key Password – This is the specific password defined for your signing key.
For more information and a detailed manual on how to create Signing Credentials, please read this knowledge base article.
Signing Android apps on Appdome – step by step
Please follow these steps to add mobile apps to your Appdome account.
If you don’t have an Appdome account, click here to create an account.
Complete the Build and Context workflow.
Select the Sign Tab. Note: a blue underline will appear showing the step is active.
Within Sign, follow these steps:
- Select “On Appdome” as the signing method.
- Enable “Use Google Play App signing” if your app uses “App signing by Google Play”. For more information on how to sign or privately sign an app for Google Play App Signing, please read this knowledge base article.
- Upload the Keystore File.
- Add the Keystore Password.
- Add the Key Alias.
- Add the Key Password.
- Wait for Appdome to verify the signing parameters, then click Sign My App.
- If Appdome GO is enabled on your account, you will be presented an option to save the signing credentials for the current template. Click “Save” if you wish to save the credentials for this Template. Notice, if you click “Skip”, your signing credentials will not be saved and will be required every time this Template is used to Fuse.
For more information on Appdome GO, please read this knowledge base article.
When you click Sign My App, Appdome will analyze the fused app’s components and calculate a checksum that represents an exact state of each component within the app. Embedding the checksum combined with your signing credentials into the app’s components will ensure that the app can’t be modified or tampered with once the signing is complete.
To learn more on Appdome’s Checksum Validation, please read this knowledge base article. For more information on additional Anti-Tampering features provided by Appdome, please read this knowledge base article.
Congratulations! You’ve now signed your Appdome Fused app and it’s ready to deploy.
After Signing Android Apps on Appdome
Deploy the Appdome Built App to a Mobile Device
Once you have signed your Appdome Built app, you can download to deploy it using your distribution method of choice. For more information on deploying your Appdome-Fused apps, please read this knowledge base.
That is it – Enjoy your Built app!
How Do I Learn More?
Request a demo at any time.
If you have any questions, please send them our way at firstname.lastname@example.org or via the chat window on the Appdome platform.
To zoom out on this topic, visit The Appdome Platform section on our website.
Thanks for visiting Appdome! Our mission is to make mobile integration easy. We hope we’re living up to the mission with your project. If you don’t already have an account, you can sign up for free.