How to Use Appdome Mobile App Automation Testing
What is Appdome Mobile App Automation Testing?
Appdome’s Build-to-Test Service provides mobile app automation testing, designed to accelerate the delivery of secure mobile apps globally.
The Build-to-Test Service was created to cater to the needs of organizations that operate in continuous integration, namely: continuous delivery (CI/CD) pipelines, and perform mobile app QA through automated testing services. Such services, which enable validating the functionality of the mobile app across hundreds of mobile devices and OS versions, can use powerful tools like Magisk and Frida that are very useful for testing purposes, but in the wrong hands can cause serious damage. As a result, when testing Appdome-protected mobile apps, if such tools are detected, a security notification is issued and the app is forced to exit.
How Does Appdome Build-to-Test Streamline the Testing Process?
Customers with an Appdome SRM license can use Appdome’s Build-to-Test service to quickly and easily test their Appdome-secured mobile apps by using the automated testing services SauceLabs, BrowserStack, BitBar, and Lambda Test, without the need for different Fusion Sets. With Appdome’s Build-to-Test service, Appdome’s in-app defense model recognizes the unique signature of these testing services and allows for easy testing without issuing a security alert or forcing the app to exit, even if these services use tools such as Magisk or Frida.
Using Appdome Mobile App Automation Testing
Appdome’s Build-to-Test service can be used in either of the following ways:
- Via Appdome DEV-API
Follow the instructions in Appdome API Documentation.
- Via Appdome’s Console (see instructions below)
Using Build-to-Test Service via the Console
To use Appdome’s Build-to-Test service via the Appdome Console:
- Upload the requested iOS or Android app.
- Prepare the app for a build.
- Click the arrow next to the Build My App button.
- Click the Build To Test button that appears.
- Use the Build My App to Test dialog box that appears now to select the supported testing service.
In this example the selected service is Bitbar.
After the service is selected the dialog box below appears, warning you that the app is tested exclusively on the specific device and by using the selected service.
- Click Build My App to Test.
The text in the box highlighted above indicates that any events encountered when testing the selected service or services (in this example, Anti-Tampering) will not raise alarms and notifications. As mentioned earlier, With Appdome’s Build-to-Test service, Appdome’s in-app defense model recognizes the unique signature of the selected testing service or services and allows for easy testing without issuing a security alert or forcing the app to exit, even if these services use tools such as Magisk or Frida.
- After the build is successfully completed, you can add context to the app. This step is optional.
The button shown below indicates that the context addition is exclusively applicable to the test environment, namely: to the specific device and by using the selected service.
- After the context is successfully added, sign the app. This step is mandatory.
Please note that the signing is exclusively applicable to the test environment.
Prerequisites to Using the Build-to-Test Service
- Appdome account (create a free Appdome account here)
- An appropriate Appdome version, which contains the Build-to-Test service
- Appdome SRM license
- A license for Build-to-Test
- Mobile App (.apk or .aab For Android)
- Signing Credentials (see Signing Secure Android apps and Signing Secure iOS apps)
To install the relevant version, contact Appdome Support (support.appdome.com)
Using Appdome, there are no development or coding prerequisites to build secured Android 7 iOS apps. There is no SDK and no library to code or implement in the app and no gateway to deploy in your network. All protections are built into each app and the resulting app is self-defending and self-protecting.
- How to Use Secure Android & iOS Apps in GitHub CI/CD
- How to use Appdome-Build-2Secure Orb for CircleCI
- How to Secure Android & iOS Apps in GitLab CI/CD Pipelines
Contacting Appdome Support
If you have any questions, please send them our way at support.appdome.com or via the chat window on the Appdome platform.
Thanks for visiting Appdome! Our mission is to secure every app on the planet by making mobile app security easy. We hope we’re living up to the mission with your project. If you don’t already have an account, you can sign up for free.