How To Use "Open-in" to Launch a Mobile App From Your Secure PWA
What are “Open-In” Linked Apps?
This Knowledge Base article explains how to use Appdome’s Open-In Linked Apps feature when building apps using Appdome Secure PWA. The feature ensures that if the website includes a button or link that opens another mobile application (such as Skype/Maps/Spotify/etc) when clicked, Secure PWA will launch the mobile application associated with the URL when you click it.
What is Appdome Secure PWA?
Appdome Secure PWA is a no-code mobile development framework that enables anyone to convert any website into a mobile application in minutes – no code or coding required. Using Appdome, anyone can build a progressive web app (PWA) that runs on any iOS or Android device with a native-like experience. The only thing you need to convert any website into a mobile application is a reachable website. Simply input an existing URL into Appdome’s app builder, select your choice of platform (Android, iOS, or cross-platform), and click Convert To App. Within minutes, the Appdome platform automatically converts the website into a mobile application that will run natively on any mobile device for the platform you selected.
Once you have created your mobile application, you can optionally implement your choice of Appdome mobile app security features and build your custom security model directly into the app – all within the same no-code workflow.
3 Easy Steps To Use Open-In Linked Apps in a Secure PWA
Follow these step-by-step instructions to build a Secure PWA that will launch the mobile application when one of the ‘open in’ links or buttons are clicked from within the app.
- From the Add App tab, Select Create Secure PWA™ and enter the website address for the website you wish to convert (Note, enter the full address, and ensure that the URL is reachable).
- Choose an App Name, then Choose the App platform: iOS, Android or both.
- For iOS – upload the Provisioning Profile.
- Click Convert To App
Note: Appdome’s Open-In Linked Apps feature is automatically enabled by default whenever you build a Secure PWA.
Congratulations! You now have converted your website to a progressive web app and enabled Appdome’s Open-In Linked Apps feature. You can find your PWA in your Appdome account (left navigation menu) with all the other app binaries that you’ve previously added to your account.
Prerequisites for Using Appdome’s Secure PWA
- Appdome account
- A license to Appdome’s Secure PWA product.
- A reachable website (URL)
- Signing Credentials (e.g., signing certificates and provisioning profile) – see Signing Secure Android apps and Signing Secure iOS apps
After Building Your PWA
After successfully building a Progressive Web App using Appdome, there are several available options to complete your project, depending on your app lifecycle or workflow. These include:
- Signing Secure iOS and Android apps
- Customizing, Configuring & Branding Secure Mobile Apps
- Deploying/Publishing Secure mobile apps to Public or Private app stores
Or, see this quick reference Releasing Secured Android & iOS Apps built on Appdome.
How Do I Learn More?
- To learn about all optional features available with SecurePWA, please visit the main Secure PWA KB article.
Thanks for visiting Appdome! Our mission is to secure every app on the planet by making mobile app security easy. We hope we’re living up to the mission with your project. If you don’t already have an account, you can sign up for free.