With Appdome SecurePWA™, anyone can build an Android and iOS app from any web property in seconds without code or coding. The Secure Progressive Web App service transforms an enterprise website into secure mobile apps fast. All you need is the web URL and an app icon to build a Secure progressive web app.
This Knowledge Base article explains how developers or non-developers can build a secure Progressive Web App (PWA) in just a few minutes, without writing a single line of code.
What is a Progressive Web App?
TechTarget defines a progressive web app (PWA) as a website that looks and behaves as if it is a mobile app. According to Wikipedia, functionality includes working offline, push notifications, and access to certain OS functions, all of which contribute to delivering mobile users a richer mobile experience which resembles that of native apps.
According to freecodecamp, there are many benefits of building and using progressive web apps. They list the benefits as follows:
- Speed: PWAs deliver snappier experiences, faster page loads, and overall better performance than their hybrid/web app cousins. From the moment a user downloads an app to the moment they start interacting with it, everything happens really fast. Because PWAs have robust data caching capabilities, pages load and re-load faster, and content streams to the UI seamlessly. Even app restarts happen faster, often without hitting the network.
- Integrated user experience: PWAs feel and behave like native apps. They sit in a user’s home screen, send push notifications like native apps, and have access to a device and native OS functions. The experience feels seamless and integrated.
- Reliable experience: With the help of service workers, we can reliably paint a picture on a user’s screen even when the network has failed.
- Engaging: Because we can send push notifications to a user, we can really drive the engagement up by keeping the user notified and engaged with the app.
About Appdome SecurePWA
SecurePWA is a no-code mobile development tool that creates secure Android and iOS progressive web apps (PWAs) from any web or cloud apps in minutes. Appdome is a mobile solutions platform as a service (iPaaS) that allows users to build a progressive web application from any responsive website and add a wide variety of mobile security, SDKs, and APIs to their Android and iOS PWA. Using a simple ‘click to create’ user interface, Appdome allows anyone to easily create a secure PWA instantly, no code or coding required.
Appdome offers SecurePWA as part of Appdome-DEV. SecurePWA dramatically accelerates enterprise mobile strategies. Organizations build true mobile apps from websites in minutes and offer users easy and persistent mobile app access to digital resources, offline use and more, all with the confidence of the enterprise security model chosen by the organization. All a user on Appdome needs is the website URL, an app icon, and a name for their SecurePWA, and they can convert their web app to a progressive web app that can run on iOS, Android or both platforms – all with a native app experience.
Prerequisites for Using Appdome’s SecurePWA
How to Convert Any Website Into a Secure Progressive Web App
Follow these step-by-step instructions to convert any website into a PWA.
- From the Add App tab, Select Create SecurePWA™
- Enter the website address that you’d like to generate as PWA (please validate that the website address is correct and reachable).
- Specify the App Name
- Choose the App platform: iOS, Android or both
- For the iOS platform – upload the Provisioning Profile.
- (optional) Add an icon to replace the default generated icon
- Favicon Settings:
- (optional) add a favicon and adjust its size and position
- (optional) Dev settings – configure the app version and version code
- SiteTrust – protect the generated PWA and by default doesn’t allow navigation outside of the given home domain.
- (optional) Specify a URL to serve as the entry point to your authentication flow such as an IP address, a company portal or an authentication cloud service.
- Secure Download (automatically added) – protect the generated PWA and by default securely download, store, and share files with other apps.
- Secure Upload (automatically added) – protect the generated PWA and by default securely upload content to the web service
- Local Notifications (automatically added) – protect the generated PWA and by default present alerts and notifications sent by the web service natively
- In-App Navigation (automatically added) – protect the generated PWA and by default natively navigate between web services and content
- (optional) Add biometric-based multi-factor authentication, such as Fingerprint, FaceID, and Pincode to your app.
- (optional) Enterprise SSO – securely share the authentication state between your Appdome-Built apps
- (optional) Add a navigation button (home button)
- Click Convert To App
Congratulations! You now have a converted your website to a progressive web app. You can find your PWA in your Appdome account (left navigation menu) with all the other app binaries that you’ve previously added to your account.
After Building Your PWA
After you have converted your website to a PWA, there are a few additional steps needed to create your SecurePWA, download it from the Appdome platform and distribute it to your end-users.
You need to move your PWA through the Appdome workflow. Just like with any other app binary that you are integrating services to, you select the PWA in your account, then select the services you would like to add to your PWA and click build my app. The minimum services you can add is ONEShield by Appdome to harden your PWA and effectively create a secure PWA. After that, you need to sign your Secure PWA with your Apple developer certificate or Android Keystore before you can upload it to the public Appstore for distribution.
What You Get with Appdome SecurePWA
The following services are included with Appdome SecurePWA:
The following service are optional and require an additional subscription fee
What Are the Benefits of Appdome SecurePWA?
- It’s an app, not a browser tab.
- Apple App / Google Play Store or Enterprise Store distribution.
- As an app, it:
- Stores app content on the device and enables offline access for mobile users.
- Leverages the device’s location information
- Can use mobile permissions to get access to the camera, microphone, address book, calendar, etc.
- Appdome PWAs
- Are secure by design including binary code obfuscation.
- Offer the full suite of Appdome services, which can be integrated at any time to deliver new capabilities to your SecurePWA in seconds.
How Do I Learn More?
If you have any questions, please send them our way at email@example.com or via the chat window on the Appdome platform or feel free to request a demo at any time
Thanks for visiting Appdome! Our mission is to make mobile integration easy. We hope we’re living up to the mission with your project. If you don’t already have an account, you can sign up for free.